WICKED, the untold story of the witches of Oz, features music and lyrics by Stephen Schwartz (Godspell, Pippin, Academy Award winner for Pocahontas and The Prince of Egypt) and book by Winnie Holzman (‘My So Called Life,”Once And Again’ and ‘thirtysomething’), and is based on the best-selling novel by Gregory Maguire. With musical staging by Tony Award winner Wayne Cilento (Aida, The Who’s Tommy, How To Succeed…), WICKED is directed by 2003 and 2004 Tony Award winner Joe Mantello (Assassins, Take Me Out, Frankie & Johnny in the Clair de Lune).
When WICKED opened on Broadway, it worked its magic on critics and audiences alike. Winner of 15 major awards including the Grammy and 3 Tony Awards. Today, WICKED is one of the most successful shows in theatre history with productions in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, a North American tour, London’s West End and Tokyo.
Long before Dorothy dropped in, two other girls meet in the Land of Oz. One, born with emerald-green skin, is smart, fiery and misunderstood. The other is beautiful, ambitious and very popular. How these two unlikely friends end up as the Wicked Witch of the West and Glinda the Good Witch makes for the most spellbinding new musical in years.
After its success on Broadway, in North America, London, Germany, Japan, Melbourne and Sydney, WICKED will open in Brisbane at QPAC’s Lyric Theatre from 11 January 2011.
* Take Five with Alinta Chidzey
* On the Road to Somewhere – Alinta Chidzey in West Side Story [Feature Article]
* WEST SIDE STORY @ Lyric Theatre QPAC, 7th November 2010 – Live Review
* The Story of the Miracles at Cookie’s Table @ Cremorne Theatre, QPAC 15th October 2010 – Theatre Review
* Dreaming Up The Vision: Interview with Leah Purcell, 11th October 2010 – [Interview]
* Polarity @ The Judith Wright Centre, Brisbane 13th September 2010 – Live Review