[Photo: Stuart Blythe]
|Karnivool, Regular John, Coerce @ The Tivoli, 25.11.2009
By Denis Semchenko
Having successfully escaped my Pearl Jam fan-invaded neighbourhood, by the time I get to The Tivoli openers Coerce have already finished. From a friend’s account, the UK combo played a solid set of angular prog-rock with At The Drive-In leanings, which would have by all means made for a decent listening experience for this writer. For the time being, though, Sydneysiders Regular John will do – and they do it with gusto, cranking up heady garage-rock riffs and pentatonic licks and flailing the ‘70s long hair. Some post-2002 Grinspoon echoes are heard throughout but the quartet’s overall feel is that of the ballsy vintage rock & roll, somewhat incongruous given the headliner’s complex, emotion-drenched oeuvre, yet fun nonetheless.
|Dan Hicks is truly an American original. His unique blend of swing, jazz, folk and country music, coupled with his irresistible sense of rhythm, hip lyrical styling, laid-back vocalising, and infamous on-stage wit make his live audiences fans for life. For more than 40 years, most famously with his band The Hot Licks, Dan has been a stalwart of the American music scene.|
- Stray Cats @ The Tivoli, Brisbane 26-27 February 2009
- Jackson Browne @ Brisbane Riverstage, 27 February 2009
- The Big O Festival @University of Queensland, 28 February 2009
- Amanda Palmer @ The Tivoli, 1 March 2009
- The Cat Empire @ The Tivoli, 12-13 March 2009
- Biffy Clyro @ The Arena, 25 March 2009
February Festival List 2009 Australia
Festival List March, April & May 2009 Australia
- QUIKSILVER PRO SHOW Music Festival – Duranbah Beach, GOLD COAST – Saturday 7th March 2009
- Standup Comedy/ventriliquist Peanut and Jeff Dunham # 1 YouTube clip – Hillarious!
- Official music video for “Weird Al” Yankovic’s epic 11-minute long parody of “Trapped in the drive-thru”
- Noosa Festival of Surfing – Noosa Heads – 15 March 2009 To 22 March 2009
- Ideas Festival, Brisbane 25 March 2009 – 29 March 2009
Scottish rockers Biffy Clyro return to Australia in March!
With the band currently holed up in their chilli Ayrshire practice pad, it seems a good time to announce that the band will break from demoing the fifth album and set off for a slightly sunnier climate.
That’s right the Biff, will be returning to the live stage this coming March for four shows along the Australian coast. The shows will take in Perth, Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney, with tickets available in the coming days. Tour dates below…
HEAR & NOW FESTIVAL
Sunday 25th January, Australia Day Weekend
Midday – 10pm, Riverstage, Brisbane
HEAR & NOW: 100% AUSTRALIAN LINEUP FOR AUSTRALIA DAY WEEKEND
Brisbane’s Aussie day festival Hear and Now will return for its second coming on 25 January 2009. With a killer all Australian lineup the grassy slopes of the Riverstage and Botanic Gardens will be the only place to be over the long weekend.
Promoters Fuzzy and Ten Pound Crew have dug deep to bring Brisbane the absolute best Aussie talent, so that this Australia Day you’ll have even more reasons to bring out the green and gold.
Festival goers far and wide rated last year’s Hear and Now as their favourite summer festival (and best long weekend to boot).
Hear & Now 2009 is sure to be even bigger and better than ever before, and here’s a few reasons why: